Author Topic: Kotij window by Wil-Redfern  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Lightheart

Kotij window by Wil-Redfern
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
For many (!) years I’ve loved this window that Wil-Redfern posted at MTS, and it’s still there. It sells for $1 — and is quite good-looking. My poverty-stricken Simmies love lots of light in their little starting shelters.

But he never made any recolors, and I would LOVE to have the window in the basic game wood colors.

SimPE is not available for my Mac, so there’s no hope that I can do it myself. I can’t even make walls anymore because Aspyr didn’t see fit to give us Homecrafter. The newer Mac Super Collection includes the EPs through Bon Voyage. I will always miss the Ikea SP I had on my long-dead PC. Base game compatibiltiy is really all I need.

Right now the window is on page 29 of the doors and windows at MTS:
    Downloads >Sims 2 >Compatible >Build Mode >Doors & Windows

I have the file itself in both its zipped and unzipped package, in case the old original should disappear in the meantime.

Thank you in advance for even considering my request! :flowers

xxxooo, Lightheart, aka Betsy :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:42:59 PM by shastakiss »
Moderation in all things, including moderation.

Offline shastakiss

Re: Kotij window by Wil-Redfern
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 03:30:39 AM »
Hello! I looked at the window and it's not really mapped to work well with wood textures. I tried repositorying it to the bg Double Hung window but it's not mapped to work well with that either. :/
I could do some solid "floodfill" recolors in shades similar to maxis woods or we could ask someone who knows how to mesh and map if they would edit this window for you.
 ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:33:41 AM by shastakiss »

Offline Lightheart

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
My word, but you are quick — and very good at explaining the problem in terms that I can understand! Kate (Amythestfenix) will vouch for the fact that I’ve never done much with meshes, and know squat about making one.

I see the problem with that little window. It would have been very handy if slaving it to the double-hung window worked well, but the mapping is not very nice. Here’s an in-game test picture of the slaved version you sent:

If I understand you correctly, the other version, simply recolorable, would result in flat color without wood graining. That would be fine with me — I can pretend the window has flat aluminum siding!

In the event that you would be willing to add some other colors, I wouldn't need many. Maybe a medium brown like the one that comes with the Maxis Independent Expressions, and a black one.

In any event, I am eternally grateful for your help! I’ve long admired your work and am in total awe of the talent that you, Lunie, Kate, and others here at Sims2Artists and at MTS share every day!

:thx so very much!

—Lightheart, aka Betsy

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:46:39 PM »
Oh botofuckit...already dropped those images as well.

Anyway.  I took the slaved version shasta did and redid the meshes for you. :)

http://simfil.es/270309

The following users thanked this post: amythestfenix, shastakiss

Offline shastakiss

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:38:26 AM »
Hee you'll never believe it but I was hoping you'd fix it, Lunie! And you also improved Wil's mullion - yay! Thank you and oof here's a preview

Also thank you for the kind words, Lightheart  :wub

PS yetilamp's eyes follow you if slide your chair to the left or right so :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:52:36 AM by shastakiss »

The following users thanked this post: HugeLunatic, amythestfenix

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 02:29:50 AM »
I'm super glad you both did this window, too! It's a very nice size and now I'll have it in lots of useful colors  :hug

Offline Lightheart

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:28 AM »
Oh botofuckit...already dropped those images as well.

Anyway.  I took the slaved version shasta did and redid the meshes for you. :)

http://simfil.es/270309

botofuckit, indeed!  :censor
I didn't know they no longer provided free 3rd-party sharing! I've spent the morning backing up my most cherished Sims memories. Kate -- some of those pictures go all the way back to our meeting on TSR, 11 or 12 years ago! -- remember those Maxis Makeover challenges you sponsored, there and at The Laden Swallow? What fun they were!

But it's not been a good morning for me, otherwise, either! Lunie, my MacPro can't deal with your 7z file. :/

You have no idea how pleased I am that you jumped on this little Kotij request. You are the best! I'll do a Google search to see if there is a free 7z utility for the Mac. Meanwhile, my thanks are astronomical!

And thank you, again, shastakiss -- the Yeti reigns. Speed and talent are not in short supply at the Sims2Artists!

:grouphug

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Betsy,
I use ALzip, which might work for you as they have a Mac version. I put Lunie's file rezipped up HERE for you to try.

I do remember those challenges, and I still have my pics of them, etc. showing up @ botofuckit, since I have their cheapest paid account (which they don't seem to be selling any more). Fortunately, that will give me time to figure out what to do and where else to put all of my YEARS of pics since I don't want to be associated with them anymore. It looks like we need SimsPICShare now!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:32:56 PM by amythestfenix »

Offline Lightheart

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
Just got home from lunch (it's 105 outdoors, with humidity you can wear!), only to find the re-zipped file from you, Kate. Looks like I'm indebted to all 3 of you now.

:thx

I'll investigate SimsPICShare; it'd be nice not to be such a burden to my 7z'ed friends! I'm staying in my air-conditioned house the rest of the day, enjoying the Kotij windows all over again! My wretchedly poor Simmies now have a decorating choice! I'll also continue backing up those thousands of pictures at botofucket!

:flowers

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

This is pretty good too.

Offline Lightheart

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
Thanks Lunie and Kate,

I'll give kekaosx and ALzip a look-see.
And also look for another photo-stash-and-share option.

PS: The little windows are wonderful!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal