Author Topic: How to recolour seasons-friendly plants  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Gwenke

How to recolour seasons-friendly plants
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:50 AM »
Just some quick notes for anyone who might be interested in recolouring seasons-friendly plants:

To recolour CC Seasons plants (trees and other plants which were cloned from a tree template - you'll know that this is the case if the object has more than one subset AND one of them is called something which ends in swx06):
- clone the mesh (with standard settings, i.e. the first 4 boxes ticked, the rest unticked)
- delete everything that is not MMAT, TXMT and TXTR.
- replace the textures.
- IMPORTANT, especially if it is a master mesh from which slaves draw their texture: go in the MMAT of the recolour file, find the modelName anc change it back to what it was in the mesh file. Otherwise the slaves will not recognise the recolour.

Plus in the MMAT, change the defaultMaterial value from 1 (true) to 0 (false).

To recolour Maxis Seasons trees and shrubs:
- Echo has a tutorial here. Essentially, follow the tut to make a template which then you can recolour (by cloning) as described for CC plants above.
- Bienchen has posted some templates which make the recolourer's job a lot easier.
The above note on changing modelName in the MMAT applies here as well, if you want your recolour to be recognised by any seasons-friendly slave.

If the mesh already has recolours or you've made the first one, it's easier to clone an existing recolour so you'll only have to do all these once or not at all.

Any question, feel free to ask.

mod note: added new download link for Bienchen's recoloring templates
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:14:35 AM by shastakiss »

The following users thanked this post: amythestfenix, shastakiss, LadySilverwolf

Offline thechangeling

Re: How to recolour seasons-friendly plants
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Thanks for posting this!

I'm trying to default the Easy Shade Bay Tree, and do some Seasons-friendly recolors, using a recolor of yours to clone mine from, but I'm wondering which boxes I need to keep ticked during the start process? Is it just the first four? I don't see anything about which boxes to leave checked or unchecked in Echo's tutorial!

Thanks!

Offline Gwenke

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
It's been a while since I worked with plants but I believe you only tick the first four.
A note: Paladine/Simwardrobe has a season-changing urn which makes testing much easier.

I'll be glad to see more recolours!

Offline thechangeling

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
That WILL make things much easier! Thank you!

But you wouldn't happen to know where I could get some snow overlay textures or have some tips on how to make a snowy recolor now, would you? xP

Offline Gwenke

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:59:15 AM »
I know I used a combination of selecting and deleting the green parts of EA snowy plant textures and copying the resulting snow-pieces over and over, hand-drawing, sharpening, strong HSV noise filtering, and soft airbrush painting.

I've put up some of the snowy textures I used here for you. I use GIMP so they are .XCF files, I hope you can use them. If not I can make some .PNGs.

Offline thechangeling

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »
Ahhh. So, I've extracted some texture files out of the game, and I'll try by snipping little pieces of green here and there.

But if you really don't mind reuploading your files in PNG format, that would be even more amazing of you! I'm using PS, so I can't open XCF files, it seems. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal