Author Topic: Balsam poplars  (Read 15753 times)

Offline Gwenke

Balsam poplars
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
About one and a half years ago I downloaded a free tree mesh pack from Turbosquid, hoping that one day I could use it to make Seasons trees. After much learning and tweaking and poking around in Wings3D and SimPE, I'm glad to present a new deciduous tree: balm poplar. It comes in three sizes, with two recolours. The two larger ones are slaved to the smallest one.

Obviously, the changing-of-leaves function only works if Seasons is installed. It can also be used without Seasons, though: in that case only the summer state will appear.  

This tree is based on Bienchen's tree template, for which I'm very grateful. I've made quite a few changes, though, so feel free to clone this tree to make your own.

With 6716 faces and 11462 vertices, these are not exactly low-poly objects (by my standards). Still, being rather large and complex, and still in the range of a lower-than-average hair mesh, I think it's not too bad.

If you would like to recolour these or any other seasons-compatible plant, please see my notes here.
The sky texture is by Chris997.

Download balm poplar trees

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:51:22 AM by Gwenke »

The following users thanked this post: Duine, LadySilverwolf, aelflaed

Offline LucyKemnitzer

Re: Balsam poplars
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
A truly new tree!  How exciting!  I had to go look it up because I'd never heard of it.  It turns out to be a "northwoods" tree.  I love it, it's so handsome.

Honeywell

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
These look amazing, Gwenke.  Nice job.  :thx

aussiegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
 :thx Lovely Trees!  :)

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
I love the new trees! I hope I can get my game up and running again soon so that I can replace some of my Maxis trees with your new ones  :wub

Offline Gwenke

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
Glad you like them. Don't rush - more are in the works :)

I know how frustrating it is when the game is acting up. My test game refused to start every few times I launched it. It was probably a mod conflict with the Religion mod, but the funny thing was that it did start up now and then.
Best of luck with you game!

Asylaraber02

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
Wow  :perfect10 :likeit
 :thx

Offline AmyLuthien

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »
These are nice trees, thanks!  :likeit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal