Author Topic: Fireplaces - Recolorable  (Read 27444 times)

Offline HugeLunatic

Re: Fireplaces - Recolorable
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
Ok, the fireplaces are all recolorable - in game - with the files here.  I have a recolor of the AL and BV fireplaces that I did when fixing it the last time.  I think the first time testing recolorability I got confused on my recolors since I was not making unique ones.  IDK.  But there all recolorable in game and each has the matching base.

Problem is I cannot get SimPE to read the altered files to make a recolor again.  I know I had them in my dl's folder when I did it.  I'm not seeing anything yet in the packages as to why it keeps pulling the brick texture from other fireplaces instead of the surfaces ones from each fireplace.  I've tried multiple places in game folders, including separating the files into multiple packages.  No luck yet.

Offline raynuss

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
I agree, they are recolorable -in game-, i.e. the recoloring tool work on them, but since there is no way to make recolors for them, in effect, they are not recolorable.  Have you considered slaving them to the original Maxis chimney that all the others are slaved to?  It appears they all use the same texture and then there would be no need to make a set of recolors for each of the new chimneys...they would just draw any recolors that were already in the game.

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »
It is an option to slave it to the base game.  But both of these fireplaces use a different mesh than the base game one, and each one has it's own texture apart from the base game fireplaces.  Except the base for the AL one, that uses the mesh and texture from the base game fireplaces.  Also the AL one has a very different chimney cap, which in this version is recolorable separately from the chimney.

I'm not quite ready to give in and do that, since obviously at some point it was working correctly in SimPE.  I just need to find out what changed between when I made the recolor packages and now.

Offline raynuss

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »
Do you plan to try to fix the problems with the fireplaces or have you given up on the project?

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
As I said, I just need to find out what changed between when I made the recolor package and now.  I'm working on it.  I've found someone else who can recolor this fine with an older version simpe.  Changes don't happen overnight. ;)

Offline raynuss

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
I'm assuming you've trashed this project since it's been over a month since you last response and there's still no update. (definitey more than "overnight").

Offline RKetex

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
 :thx Those bases of the bohemien and mountain chimneys always annoyed me. Great job. :thumbup

Offline shastakiss

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
I don't care whether these are recolorable. Just having them fixed is enough for me. No more floating bv chimney? Yes, please! No more red brick al chimney base? Yes, please! I'm sorry that raynuss is disappointed but I'm not :blowkiss Thank you :hug

Offline Mapat

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
Same here !  A little appreciation might be in place !!  :blowkiss

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
I do want to fix the recolor issue.  I'm busy.  I have very little time so everything I've been doing in my spare time is small stuff.  I've got graduation coming up in less than three weeks and several papers to finish up for some fast track classes (they suck!). 

And tbh, right now I'm more interested in my GPA staying at 4.0 and my membership in Phi Theta Kappa. :)

I'm glad some of you still find this useful.  And I will get back to this when I have time.  Because it's bugging me that it did work and now it's not.

Offline ElfPuddle

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
 :blowkiss
Your real life is FAR more important than any one person's game. Take care of yourself and your grades, and don't worry about this.

And congrats on the GPA and Phi Theta Kappa. This teacher is really impressed!  :perfect10

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:35 PM »
This teacher is really impressed too!  :perfect10

I definitely agree with Elf; real life is always more important than simming!

Offline hokadk47

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
I am not a teacher - but still, real life is very important. Good luck Lunie, you have to go for it 100% (I don't know what this Phi Theta Kappa stuff is ?)

Kind regards, Helle

Offline ElfPuddle

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
UPDATE

Apparently recoloring these requires some srs voodoo/ritual/raindance shiz.   :crazy

I found that if you open the _HL_CEP_FireplaceXX.package file before recoloring, then SimPE will load the required textures just fine.  You MUST open the CEP file for the specific fireplace you want to recolor first.  This puts it in the cache for SimPE which is letting the OW read the files.  I have no idea why it's doing this, and I have no idea how to get SimPE to read this properly otherwise. 

I find this acceptable since a) How often are you going to recolor this? lol (unless your kate... :-) ) b) With drag/drop it takes 2 seconds to drag the CEP file into the SimPE window and then you can start OW without even closing the CEP file, and c) I've tried going back several versions of SimPE and they all behave the same way for me, and I've tried the files in multiple places and separating the files in various ways.  Nothing else works, I've tried asking Inge about SimPE but she remembers nothing as she has moved on to TS3.

NOTE:  My tests were done with SimPE v 0.72.1 for AL with the M&G update.  SimPE v 0.72.1 and M&G Update

• Files are Updated - Can't say for sure what I may/may not have changed so get the new ones

So please try recoloring like this, it's worked for me over and over all day yesterday.  Yes I know it's a pain. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal