Author Topic: Wallpaper - Type Paint - Prototypes  (Read 14834 times)

Offline celebkiriedhel

• CEO of Procrastinators Anonymous
Wallpaper - Type Paint - Prototypes
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
These are our paint walls based on Spacedoll's AL Wallpaper template using Maxis trims. I've used asparagus as a base texture at 50% reduction to minimise the size of the details.

I've left the wallpapers at full size to allow you to see exactly what you are getting.

Numbering works as
Plain
Crown and
Kick
Kick
beadboard
Picture Rail
Beadboard
bi-coloured with
Chair Rail
Fancy Crown
and Kick
Fancy Crown
Kick and Chair Rail
Bi-coloured Fancy
Crown Kick Chair
Rail
Framed
Wainscoting
Inset
Wainscoting
Egg and Dart
Kick
Egg and Dart
Crown and Kick
Egg and Dart
Bi-Coloured
Crown Kick Chair
Rail
Egg and Dart
Double Coffered
Wainscoting

Edit 08/04/2013: 1-6 have been updated to the final template
Edit 11/04/2013: 7-9 have been updated to the final template
Edit 12/04/2013: 11 has been updated to the final template
Edit 18/04/2013: All 15 have been updated to the final template

6, 9, and 14 have 30% darker textures at the bottom to match the mixed colour ones that EA have - but I am open to leaving them out.

I haven't done Curiona's molding from Shastakiss yet, but will be adding to this post when I'm done.

How do you feel about these ones? Are there any you don't like? Are there any you would like but aren't here?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:54:49 AM by celebkiriedhel »

Offline celebkiriedhel

Re: Wallpaper - Type Paint - Prototypes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
I've started pulling down the wallpaper-paint category, and I'm noticing that they have bumpmaps so far!!!

Do you want me to try getting bumpy on the trims?

Offline HugeLunatic

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
I've noticed your shadow layer is leaving a small gap on the seams.

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
Yeah, thanks Lunie - I will be fixing that.

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
Sorry I haven't been back on sooner, I've had back problems that interfere with my computer use, so all I could do was get the things I promised poseted before having to go lie down  :cry

I think the walls look really good, except for the fancy crown molding which is just a little pixelated for me and I would like all kick moldings to match- some of these that look like they are supposed to match have more texture or shadow than others.

Reducing the texture is a good thing. I usually have the linen texture as an overlay and fill on a color layer. On the darker colors, I often copy the overlay layer and reduce to 50% or so to enhance the texture, without making the color too dark, sometimes lightening it a bit.

Bump maps are good  :)

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
No worries Kate - I was getting a little worried about how you were - and I'm really sorry that your back is giving you problems! Take all the time you need with it. I know how horrible back pain can be.   :hug

I'm going to be re-doing the templates, I wanted to throw these up quickly to make sure we were on the same page.

I agree the fancy crown is too pixelated. Extracting it from Homecrafter it comes out that way, I suspect I'll be actually recreating bits of it, as well as on other trims.
The shadows are going to be reduced down to just the one or two pixels across btw - so there's less seamage if people want to mix types.

There are 3 types of kick moulding - the one for simple, one for fancy and one for egg and dart. I can reduce this down to the just one?

In this one, we've got the kick moulding attached to each type of wallpaper (i.e. 15 kick mouldings) - I think what I'm going to do to make sure they are uniform is separate that out to just the 3 kick mouldings - this will make sure that they are uniform to each.

I'll also be making the chair railing at the same height for all wallpapers.

It sounds like you're happy with the linen texture for paints.

What I'll do with the bump maps, is make a couple of ones to try it out and take some in-game pictures for you to have a look later when you're feeling better.

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
06/04/2013 Update

Types 1 and 3 are generated = 147 bitmaps. This covers both AL and non-AL defaults and non-defaults.
Woods = White, AL Light, AL Medium, AL Dark, Cherry, Black.

Not convinced that the Black is good enough. Problem is that the Black Wood is too black to cope with extra shading.  I've lightened the shading, but... well you look and see what you think.

After re-doing the fancy crown, I realised that I have to re-do the simple crown as well.

This is what the simple crown looks like in its different woods.

I'm even less convinced with the black Crown Kick.

I'm starting to feel that Black either needs to use a lighter Black wood to get the right colour, or we leave Black wood out completely for the Paints.

What do you think Shasta and Kate?

(P.S. Don't worry about the white line - that's just me mis-matching on the sample - it's seamless on the template)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:25:59 AM by celebkiriedhel »

Offline Karlene

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
If I may comment... I LIKE the black!

Offline shastakiss

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
The moulding looks good all tidied up and nice!
I'm guessing the white, light, medium, and dark would be replacements and the cherry and black are just extras? And that black is using the agreed upon texture? It looks dark to me too, especially the baseboard. Could you break the laws of natural lighting and have it be as light as the crown moulding?
I'm impressed with your attention to detail!

fake edit - ha ha Karlene! I like it too but it still looks too dark :)

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
These are looking very good  :wub I agree that the original black is too dark and would lighten it like you have, also using shasta's suggestion of lightening the baseboard. It still reads as "black" and if the black stays consistent across the series, I think it will look perfect. I know that I will love having these!

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
Shasta, yeah - Cherry and Black are in the non-default set. And there will be a mix of the others in the defaults depending on what the original set has - but every colour will have all 15 styles, and all 6 woods (90)  with 21 Colours (1890 walls). So lots of completer sets.

I've done a little playing around and I think I'm going to go with the black wood brightened 40%.

The shading brings it back quite a bit. I may darken it again, depending on how it goes in the game. It can look quite different because of the lighting.

With the collection for the walls - do we want to have just the one collection per colour (21) or one collection by Wood type (6) or one collection per style (15)?

Sunday 07/04 Currently Done - 1, 2, 3, 6.
Monday 08/04 Currently Done - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:17:52 PM by celebkiriedhel »

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »
We could make all three collections? I love collection files because I have so much CC and it's the only way not to sort through way more catalog pics than necessary. Especially since they are so small  :wacko

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:52 PM »
Sure - I can do that.

As I've done the paints - I've updated the prototypes up in the first post. So some replies won't make sense now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:56:19 PM by celebkiriedhel »

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »
I think they are looking very good, Kiri  :love

Offline celebkiriedhel

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:41 AM »

This doesn't include the 3 Kids wallpapers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal