Author Topic: Hydrangea bush  (Read 14308 times)

Offline Gwenke

Hydrangea bush
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:52 AM »
I don't know what Maxis/EA were thinking when they gave us flowering temperate zone bushes that kept on flowering all year round and under the snow. It's nonsense.
So here is a larger version of the hydrangea bush from the base game, which changes with the seasons somewhat more realistically. In the winter it is just a stub. In the spring it begins to grow and has smaller flowers. In the summer it is in full bloom and is larger, and in the autumn it has no flowers.
I am also including 8 recolours.

Obviously it will only function like this if Seasons is installed. It can also be used without Seasons, though: in that case only the summer state will appear. 

This bush is based on Bienchen's tree template, for which I'm very grateful. I've made quite a few changes, though, so feel free to clone this bush to make your own.

The bush is found in Build/Plants/Shrubs for 86 simoleons. It will satisfy the appropriate want but will not overgrow and does not need pruning. The mesh has 380-864 faces and 718-2090 vertices, depending on the season.

Download hydrangea bush

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:54:04 AM by HugeLunatic »

The following users thanked this post: HugeLunatic, CatherineTCJD, MissReval, ElfPuddle, membears, Karlene, Duine, LadySilverwolf

Offline mustluvcatz

Re: Hydrangea bush
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »
 :thx Thank you! This is like my best Christmas and birthday rolled into one. Now I have to put my cc back.. new patio set meshes call for awesome plants in the screenies.   :thumbup

Offline Gwenke

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:55 AM »
You're welcome :)
Now if only someone could help me with the slaving and I could start rolling with slaved sets...  :idk

Offline LucyKemnitzer

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:42:13 AM »
Thank you! 

Although . . . as to why the Maxis hydrangea bush wasn't converted for Seasons -- I believe I know that.  The old Maxis headquarters was  in my climate zone (I say was because I don't know where it is now), in Central Coast California, and many shrubs, hydrangeas included, actually don't go dormant here.   They bloom all year.  Winter's actually our big growth season.  We don't get much snow -- maybe two years out of three we will have flurries on a couple of days, and one year out of four or five a bit of it will stick for a few hours.  Except at high elevations, where it snows almost every year, usually a couple of times and the snow lasts for a few days each time. But I've never seen a dormant hydrangea even on the top of Loma Prieta (one of the highest peaks in the Santa Cruz Mountains, which is right between where I live and where the Maxis headquarters is).

This doesn't interfere in my enjoyment of a seasonable hydrangea bush, though, because it doesn't look like a hydrangea to me in the first place -- it looks like some other delightful shrub that could very well go dormant in winter if it wants to.  Thank you for thesde conversions!

Offline Gwenke

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Thank you  :)
I would not mind it so much if they also made shrubs which do go properly dormant. Then I'd know it was not just lazyness on their part, but, more importanly, I could make shrubs which need pruning but still lose their leaves in the winter. I hate to give my sims worry-free plants  ;)

Offline RKetex

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
 :hug Very nice. Thanks  :))

Offline amythestfenix

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
I love these new hydrangeas (hydrangeas are my favorite flowers)  :love

anuvi

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
Thank you, I absolutely love, love, love those stubs!! Brilliant!  :flowers

Tarlia

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
Just wanted to add my appreciation for all these Seasons friendly plants. They're all absolutely excellent. Much love from me. <3

Offline ChrisaL27

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
These look great!!! :thx

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal