Author Topic: Default Replacing an Object's TXMTs (and TXTRs)  (Read 3716 times)

Offline shastakiss

Default Replacing an Object's TXMTs (and TXTRs)
« on: May 09, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
A how-to for a friend :)

This way works for me but there are other ways which might be easier.
For this, I'm default replacing the bg Danish chair, it has 5 cushions and 4 woods so my DR file will have 9 TXMTs and 9 TXTRs.

Part I: Extracting the resources
In SimPe,
toolbar > File > Open...
For base-game objects:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Double Deluxe/Base/TSData/Res/Sims3D
For expansion or stuff pack objects:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/...ep or sp.../TSData/Res/3D

TXMTs are in Objects02
Right-click Extract... on the object's TXMTs in the Resource List (except for null and shadow ones)
Glass and metal TXMTs are usually exceptions, but if you know what you're doing then go for it.

TXTRs are in Objects06
Select Texture Image (TXTR) in the Resource Tree
Right-click Extract... on the object's TXTRs in the Resource List (except for shadows)

toolbar > File > New
Right-click Add... in the empty Resource List box for all your extracted .6tx and .5tm files
toolbar > File > Save As...
Name it whatever you like

Part II: TXMTs
Select each TXMT from the Resource List and edit the properties in Plugin View, commit after each and then save.

For color consistency, these are the settings I use on all pirate wood recolors (and most yeti recolors):

I didn't have to change the stdMatDiffCoef: 0.8,0.8,0.8 on this one but do eet

stdMatEnvCubeTextureName: reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube is The Worst when it comes to color inconsistency. Click the delete underlined in blue on the right to get rid of it.

Part III: TXTRs
Open each custom recolor that has the texture you like
Select the TXTR from the Resource List and in Plugin View, right-click the image Export...

Open the default file you've started

Select the TXTR from the Resource List and in Plugin View, right-click the image Build DXT...

In the DDS Builder window,
3. Find the replacement texture you exported earlier
4. Format: DXT3Format (or DXT5Format if you like)
5. Sharpen: change the default Smoothen to None
6. Click Build
Click Commit in the Plugin View.
Your custom texture can be larger than the maxis one you're replacing (e.g. 512x512 instead of 256x256).
Repeat for each TXTR and save. Open your game and check it out :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:26:42 PM by shastakiss »

The following users thanked this post: einavzash

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal