Author Topic: Keeping Up With the Joneses  (Read 17216 times)

rgdyanne

Keeping Up With the Joneses
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Inspired by roBucky's Alice & Kev TS3 experiment I decided to conduct my own homeless/poverty experiment.

Keeping Up With the Joneses

For those who might not know, "keeping up with the Joneses" is an old phrase that usually means keeping up with someone who is rich. So I decided to make fun of that phrase by naming my family the Jones  :P

I started by creating an abandoned building. Tons of room but very few amenities. All that was left in the building at the time they moved in was a couple of decrepit desks, a couple of beat up chairs, a long forgotten sofa and a couple of rotting love seats. Also the previous owners didn't rip out the plumbing so the old office bathrooms were still there and an old employee kitchen sans any appliances. The only lights in the place are in the bathrooms and kitchen.

I moved in the Joneses:

Meet Tansy a YA with the following Traits: Over Emotional, Artistic, Friendly, Flirty, Excitable
Her brother Joey with the following Traits: Flirty, Daredevil, Commitment Issues, Athletic
and last but not least....
their baby sister April (now a Teen) with the following Traits: Loner, Good, Light Sleeper and added when she aged to a teen, Friendly.

Their story:
Tansy, Joey and Alice’s parents were killed in a tragic house fire. The kids were away from home when it happened thus their lives were spared. Tansy, rather than see the family split up, and now having no home, moved them into an old abandoned office building in the center of town. Amazingly enough no one has noticed that the building is now occupied. The townspeople have attributed any lights and noises to ghosts and just continue to petition the slow moving town council to remove the eye sore.
Having no living relatives and having lost everything to the fire they cling to each other as they strive to rebuild their lives.

I gave myself the following “rules”
1.  They were only allowed one outfit apiece for each category of clothing until such a time as their earnings reflect the ability to afford more clothing. None of the clothing was allowed to be to “rich” looking. Must look like something they’d pick up at a thrift store or rummaging through garbage.
2. The only money they could have is what they earn through jobs, opportunities, finds or selling off items in the abandoned building.
3. They have to “Work Hard” as much as I can make them within the constraints of their moods/needs.
4. I have High Free-Will turned “ON”, LONG Life Span and Story Progression is turned “ON”
5. ABSOLUTELY NO CHEATS ALLOWED. With one exception; to give them enough money to purchase the building and then to take the money away.
I have to tell you it’s been a real challenge for me to not play with cheats as that is my normal mode of play. :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:20:36 PM by RgdyAnne »

rgdyanne

Re: Keeping Up With the Joneses
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
"Home Sweet Home"

1st Floor

2nd Floor

3rd Floor

rgdyanne

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
Joey catching some sleep on the love seat

While it's quite nice that Tansy's garbage rummaging has yielded a very useful candle cleaning up the rest of what she brings home is EWWW

Darn those pipes always breaking

rgdyanne

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
Happy Birthday April!

Offline Lisfyre

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:29:06 AM »
 lol  I love it!!  Can't wait to read more :)

:likeit
"Life is short -- insecurity is a waste of time."  - Diane von Furstenberg

"You don't get out of life alive"  Jimmy the Hand

The battle of the sexes will never be won.  We keep fraternizing with the enemy.

rgdyanne

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:49:30 AM »
Welcome Joey to Young Adulthood! He now has the trait Ambitious and his lifetime wish is to be a World Renowned Surgeon. He joined the Medical Career field as an Organ Donor. Congratulations Joey!

rgdyanne

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:57 AM »
Besides taking care of her siblings and working at the diner, Tansy takes in side jobs repairing and upgrading her friends electronics.

Tansy, doing what she loves best next to writing the next great novel :D

Tansy burning the midnight oil working on her writing. Sometimes you just have to forgo sleep to get ahead.

rgdyanne

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »
Now that the kids are a bit older Tansy has decided it's time to focus more on her career desires. She has given up her job at the diner to take a low wage job as a Journalist. However, she feels that the family can manage with her temporary lower wages since both Joey and April now have jobs of their own.

April is now a teen and is trying her best to juggle school and her part time job at the bookstore. She has accepted a couple of opportunities through the school in order to keep her grades up. She made Honor Roll right before she had her birthday.

Joey is very happy to be a young adult, YAY no more curfew! He made Honor Roll right before he graduated and is looking forward to his career in the medical field.

Their finances have improved enough that they've been able to afford a few "luxuries". They found a discount appliance store and now have a stove and fridge. They sold off the old toilet stalls to a local plumbing outfitter and got a big discount on new toilets, bathtub and sinks. They also just bought their first TV!

Tansy finally felt it was safe to petition the city council for ownership of the building they've been squatting in on the grounds that they will make payments towards the back taxes on the place and improve the exterior and interior themselves. They are waiting for word from the city council on whether their petition has been accepted.

gayle_afcb

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal